FHA Down Payment Grants
-- Nehemiah Program
The Nehemiah Program has helped over a quarter of a million Americans purchase homes. Unlike some down payment assistance programs, Nehemiah offers down payment help to anyone who qualifies for an approved FHA loan. There are no limits on income or assets, but buyers must have an FHA loan or be pre-approved for an FHA mortgage. The Nehemiah program offers:
- Up to 6% of the final contract sales price for down payment and/or closing costs.
- Available for first-time and repeat homebuyers.
- Approved for new construction and resale homes.
- No geographical restrictions.
As with most down payment assistance programs, these funds are not available for "second mortgage" or home equity loans; Nehemiah is intended to help people buy a new home. The process for applying for Nehemiah is similar to most other down payment assistance programs:
- Find a house and make the seller an offer.
- When the offer is approved, contact your loan officer.
- Tell your realtor you want to buy the home using the Nehemiah program.
- Your loan officer applies to the Nehemiah program on your behalf.
- Nehemiah down payment assistance will be sent before you close on the home.
Down payment assistance programs generally require the seller to pay a fee to participate. This fee is considered a payment for services rendered and not a tax-deductible charitable contribution.
For more information on how the grant program can be beneficial to you, you must be a qualified home buyer under the fha home loan program. We recommend that you first get pre-approved for an FHA home loan and then your lender will assist with getting you educated on the down payment program that is right for you.